Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Week 13 - May 2, 2017

So I'm a day late today because yesterday was a holiday (I think it's the equivalent of Labor Day), and on holidays in Brazil, everything closes, including the Lan-House where we do our emails. I mean everything; we had to do all of our shopping and stuff today because not a single store in town was open yesterday. But that meant more time for taking a nap yesterday, which was super good.

Slowly but surely, I can feel my Portuguese improving. I could understand an entire prayer from the old member in our ward that I mentioned a few weeks ago; I can never understand anything he says, so that was a big deal to me. A lot of people are complimenting me on my progress, but I also think they're just being nice because they feel bad for me :) Luckily, I've gotten to the point where I can understand almost everything that people are saying. My vocabulary and grammar and such while I'm speaking are a different story, but for now, as long as people can understand what I'm telling them, I'm content.

Sister Suárez and I had a pretty funny experience this week. We were visiting a newer investigator who we knew didn't have a lot of interest in learning more, but we kept visiting because we had hope. D.'s (our investigator) husband answered the door and told us that she wasn't home. We talked with him for a little bit, and then saw D. pass by inside the house and quickly go into another room when she saw us. We said to the husband, "That was D., right?" He said no, it was her daughter. It definitely wasn't. So, Sister Suárez asks if we can leave him with a scripture and a prayer, he accepts, and she starts reading some verses from the Book of Mormon about how lying is a sin and we need to repent for it. I'm not sure that he caught on, but it was pretty darn funny. 

Spiritually, this week has been pretty hard. We had to cut (I think they call it drop in American missions, but here it's cortar, which means cut) several investigators because they're not coming to church or won't stop smoking or a variety of different reasons. We're also trying to invite more and more people to baptism, but not many people are accepting. We're praying every day to know how to better help people recognize the importance of this gospel and the necessity of baptism. I'm praying every day to know how to be a better missionary. This work really isn't easy, but it's completely worth it, and I'm so grateful for this opportunity I've been given to grow in my testimony and share it with others.

Amo vocês. Tchau!
-Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment