Monday, March 27, 2017

Week 8 - March 27, 2017

So for anybody reading this that is thinking about going on a mission, know that if you get called to a foreign country and no one- including your companion- speaks English, the first day out in the field...you're gonna want to die. But it gets better! Sister Suárez is very patient and very, very slowly I can feel myself being able to understand more Portuguese and find more and more joy in this work. It's always hot and I'm always sweating and there are constantly dogs barking in the middle of our spiritual messages (oh how I miss my quiet little Marty)...but the people are so friendly and I am truly blessed to be here. 

Here in Jacui, there is only a tiny branch of maybe 25 people that come to sacrament meeting consistently. About a fourth of those are investigators or new members, so the same 4 or 5 people always give the talks in sacrament meeting. Also, nobody plays piano and I'm pretty sure no one really even reads music, AND all the new members and investigators don't know the tunes to the hymns. Result: hymn time in sacrament meeting is not the most musically pleasing thing you'll ever hear in your life. But they sing with enthusiasm (mostly), and that's what matters. Sister Suárez and I get to help out in primary...and by help out I mean we're the only people in there because there aren't enough members to fill all callings and there are only like 4 kids in primary. But of course I don't mind, the kids are so sweet and are more than happy to help me with my Portuguese. They think it's funny that they can speak better than me.

My companion and I live in a pretty big house on the floor above another family (nonmembers). It's surprisingly roomy- especially because I've heard most missionary apartments are infamously small- and fairly nice. We even have two bathrooms...which is heavenly. It's also right across from the church building, which is also super convenient considering walking is our only mode of transportation here. The food here is super bomb; southern Brazil is famous for their really good barbeque, and now I see why. Also, thank goodness, I saw Oreos, Doritos, and Kit-Kats at the store today, which means I will survive. 



This week has possibly been one of the hardest of my life, though, but I want you all to know that I am doing okay. I know the Lord is helping me so much and I am so grateful for all of your support and prayers. I have also found so much peace and comfort in studying the scriptures. Two verses especially have carried me through this week:

Ether 12:4- "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with a surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."

Amid all the changes in the past few weeks and all the changes that will occur for the next year and a half- and the rest of my life- my faith will always be my anchor. And as hard as things may get- and I have no doubt they will always be hard...this work is anything but easy- I will always hope for improvement. Faith is always pointed toward the future.

D&C 24:8- "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days." 

The Lord will never abandon us. And even though we may not see it in the moment, our afflictions are always for our benefit. I have found that in the hardest times of my life, I have grown the closest to my Savior. It reminds me of the poem of the man who saw his life as footprints on the beach; for his whole life he saw two sets of footprints where the Savior was walking beside him. Except for the times of most difficulty, where he saw only one set of footprints. He cried out to the Lord, asking why he was abandoned in the times when he most needed his Redeemer. And, of course, Jesus answers that the one set of footprints were his own, because during those times He was carrying the man through his trials. 

Our Savior loves us so much, and I am so blessed to know that. I am here so that I can help others see that too.

Eu amo vocês muito! 

-Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment