Saturday, February 18, 2017

Week 2 - February 18, 2017



So my visa has come and I'll be leaving for Brazil early Monday morning...although not arriving until Tuesday because the flight will take alllll dayyyyy. Luckily I'm flying with Sister Sage, so we're planning on getting a lot of studying together; one of our goals is to memorize the First Vision in Portuguese while on the plane. I already have the Missionary Purpose and the baptismal invitation memorized (in Portuguese, of course), and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty darn proud of that. I am so, so excited to get to the Brazil MTC; I know it's much harder because they try to completely immerse you in the language (which means even less English than I currently get to hear, which is still not a lot). But I also know that means I'll get to learn a lot faster, which I'm super excited about. I also heard that we usually get a native Brazilian companion for our last 2 weeks there, we get to leave the MTC and walk around Sao Paulo on p-day, AND we get to practice giving out Book of Mormons by standing outside the MTC and handing them out to people (which sounds crazy scary but also so, so cool). I'll also get to see Sister Pertab and all the other people from my district that are already down there, which I'm really happy about. Also the food is supposed to be amazing.

Portuguese is still really hard, but I do feel like I'm progressing and so many people have said that the most important thing is to love the people, so I've learned to not stress as much about learning the language because I know it will come with time. Today in class, we practiced having to teach the Restoration in under two minutes in Portuguese, and even though I know it was very broken Portuguese, I actually felt like I did pretty well and it made me super excited to go out and teach real people because this message is MUITO IMPORTANTE. Also, every Sunday, everyone in the branch is expected to prepare a 3-4 minute talk (in Portuguese) on a certain topic and then the branch president just calls on two people in the middle of the meeting. It's super suspenseful, to say the least, but I actually feel really good about the talk I prepared and wouldn't be TOO terrified if I was called on to speak. Again, I'm positive it's not perfect Portuguese, but I know I'm getting better and it's about the joy and blessings that come from repentance, which is always an amazing topic. (If you guys haven't read Alma 36 in awhile, I highly recommend it. Especially verses 19-21. I've really gained a deep appreciation for that chapter while preparing the talk.) 

One thing I've really learned here: learning a foreign language makes anything that you get to do in English (that you used to think was hard) because SO MUCH EASIER. I'm teaching the Relief Society lesson tomorrow, and as soon as they told me that I can do it in English, it immediately became the least stressful thing I've ever had to do here. Before this, I would have been worrying so much about what I would teach and how I would do it, but suddenly it's the easiest thing in the world just because it's not in Portuguese.

So since today was my last day of class before leaving for Brazil, I had to say goodbye to all my teachers. And it was SO SAD. I've only known them for a little over a week but they have been such a blessing and are honestly some of the kindest and most patient people I've ever met, as well as the most inspiring. In talking to one of my teachers- Irmao Macado- he gave me some amazing advice and some really thoughtful feedback on my teaching. First of all, he said that I shouldn't stress so much about constantly feeling the Spirit because, if I'm 1) being obedient and 2) loving the people, everything that comes to my mind will be from the Spirit. (How cool is that!?) He's a native Brazilian and lived there for most of his life, so he also was telling me about how bad the government and economic situation is in Brazil and how the people there just need hope. He told me to just love his people and do everything I could to help them be happier; it was super powerful. Also, because he was the teacher that was acting as my investigator for the past week or so, he knows the most about how my teaching is going. And you know what he told me? He said that he could tell that I had a really strong testimony of Christ and His love for me and for others, and that he knew that testimony would be what would carry me through my mission and that it would bless the lives of a lot of people. Like, wow, that's the greatest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Irmao Macado is also one of the funniest people I've ever met. He told us the other day that while the elders in my district were teaching him, he felt like they weren't really understanding what he was saying back to them, so he started answering their questions with things like, "I think I'll have a ham and cheese sandwich later" or "I had a burrito for breakfast" in Portuguese. And sure enough, none of them caught on. He says he didn't do it to me because he could tell I understood what he was saying back (woot woot!), but I also think it's partially because he felt bad for me that I was teaching without a companion.

Anyway, I know a lot more has happened this week, but I can't think what else to say. The Church is true! Study this wonderful gospel and never take it for granted! I love you all, and next time you hear from me I'll be in BRAZIL!!

Todos o amor,

Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment