Monday, February 13, 2017

Week 1 - February 13, 2017



Things are looking up! Sister Pertab and the other sisters in my district left this morning, which was muito triste, but I am now companions with a sister from another district in my zone, Sister Sage. She's super great and very patient with my constant questions and worries. However, we're only companions outside of class time...which means I have to teach the investigator lessons alone. Which is still super scary, but I'm learning to rely on the Lord and trust that He wouldn't have me do this if He didn't know I could.

My Portuguese hasn't really improved since last time we talked, but I know that it'll come eventually. At the Sunday devotional last night, this guy talked about how much he was struggling with learning Japanese when he went through the MTC years ago. He said he broke down crying when one of his teachers asked him if he was okay (which is honestly completely relatable), and told the teacher that he didn't think he could do it, that the language was just too hard (also completely relatable). The teacher told him, "You have to give the Lord more credit than that." And it's SO TRUE. The Lord called me to a Portuguese speaking mission knowing that I needed to go to Brazil and speak that language. There's no way he would do that without providing a way (1 Nephi 3:7, obviously). So, it might take me like a whole year, but at some point, I WILL get this language down.

Another thing I've heard a lot here: I'm not at the MTC to learn Portuguese. I'm at the MTC to learn how to be like Christ and how to help others come to Him. If I focus on that, the language will come.

I also got to go to the temple today! That was really great, partly because it's so nice to have any amount of time where I don't have to be studying, but also because- duh- it's the temple. And I got to practice with the MTC choir yesterday and we'll get to perform at the devotional tomorrow. It was so, so fun. We're singing "Lead, Kindly Light" which is super applicable to everyone, but especially as a missionary, the words hit me every time we sang them. 



I'm hoping my visa will come sometime soon so that I can leave for Sao Paulo, but if not, I know there's a reason I need to be at the Provo MTC. Heavenly Father always knows what we need, and life gets so much less stressful when we realize that.

Anyway, I feel like a lot more has happened, but I can't think what more to say really. I love and miss you all! And am FOREVER grateful for your love, support, and prayers; I needed them, especially this last week.

All my love,

Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment