Monday, May 28, 2018

Week 69 - May 28, 2018

So, the apocalypse in Brazil has begun.

Photo taken from internet.

Not really, but it feels like it. All the truckers in the country have gone on strike, which may not sound like such a big deal, but it turns out modern society is super reliant on things that are transported by trucks. Like, food and gas and stuff. So there's not more gas at the gas stations. Most people have stopped using their cars. Most of the buses have cut down their hours or have just stopped running all together. Taxi and Uber drivers stopped working. Grocery stores are also running out of bread, milk, and eggs. 
So yeah, things are kinda crazy. But we're fine, we stocked up on extra food, and we just use our legs to go almost everywhere, but it's becoming kind of difficult to get all our investigators to church since a lot of them need rides. And the bus we take to district meetings, which normally passes by every half hour, is now passing by only every hour, so the buses are getting a lot fuller. And for those of you who've never ridden a completely people-packed bus (to the point where you can hardly move your arms), I don't suggest it. But it's kinda good for contacting people, they can't walk away from you.

Oh yeah, and it randomly got crazy cold this week. Which actually makes since, because it's winter, but just last week was still super hot, and then out of nowhere I had to pull out my boots and winter coat and gloves. Sister Coon and I have fallen in the habit of singing Christmas songs, but then we remember that the cold here does not mean Christmas is close, so then we get kind of sad. 

Also, I don't know if any of you remember me talking about Alex and Márcia, a couple from Areal (my last area). We helped them get married and then baptized Márcia, but Alex was still working through some difficulties. Well, I found out that he finally got baptized! About two weeks after I was transferred from the area. I was so happy to hear it, that family is crazy special to me.

I also discovered the name of that language that the people of Native American descent speak hear: Kaigang. Apparently it's spoken by some of the tribes in southern Brazil, but mostly in Rio Grande do Sul. They taught me how to say a few words in Kaigang, but I don't remember any of them.

Well, love you all! Enjoy your available food and gas for me!

Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment